Monday 28 December 2015

Hingis and I complement each other, says Sania Mirza

Sania Mirza celebrates with her teammate, Martina Hingis after defeating Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in Charleston, South Carolina. File Photo.

Even as a highly successful 2015 comes to an end, five-time Grand Slam champion Sania Mirza is already in a preparatory mode for next year and setting new targets to achieve.

The 29-year-old Sania insisted that 2015 has been the best year of her career and is glad that she achieved the World No.1 ranking in April this year for the first time and remained so at the end of the year too.

“Reaching the top is one thing and staying there is another thing. So, finishing off the year as the World No.1 in women’s doubles [partnering] Martina Hingis is the biggest challenge.

“To cap it all, Hingis and I being rated as the World No. 1 women’s doubles pair by the ITF is something that I will cherish for a long, long time to come,” said Sania in an exclusive interview recapping a golden year of achievements — she won 10 major titles including the Wimbledon and the US Open Grand Slams, and retained the prestigious WTA Tour doubles title in Singapore.

Five-time Grand Slam winner Sania Mirza says her success in 2015 would be tough to replicate, and added that she would focus on quality of her performance and not just the results. Photo: V.V. Subrahmanyam

Looking back was the decision to partner Hingis early this year one of the most defining moments of your career?

I don’t look at it that way. If you remember, I was already moving closer to becoming World No. 1 before I decided to partner Hingis.

It could have been delayed a bit. But, luckily Hingis and I started winning titles very quickly and settled down as a winning combination.

Even for Hingis this has been the best year in the circuit along with me.

What I can say is the chemistry with her is far more superior and wonderful than I had with others in the past. This I say with all respect to my earlier partners.

With Hingis the biggest positive is we complement each other remarkably well on and off the court.

What next?

It is going to be really tough to better the performances of this year. But winning another Grand Slam title is on our agenda now.

We don’t go out with the specific objective of winning but in trying to give of our best.

Once you do this, results will fall in place.

On the warm-up events down under before the Australian Open Grand Slam next month

After a badly needed break, I am now looking for real match practice and we hope to get things going again. I just don’t want to be rusty before another demanding year begins on the circuit. Hopefully, the Brisbane and Sydney events should help us realise this.

What will be the biggest hurdle to repeat the performances of this year?

In 2014, I won five WTA titles and thought it was the best year for me then. And then look at this year. I repeat it is tough to get better. But again if we put in the kind of efforts we did this year, it should not be a surprise though we will take it match-by-match as we move on.

Yes, I would be lying if we win the Australian Open and say that I was not looking at that kind of performance. Winning any Grand Slam title is always a special feeling.

Despite the roaring success in 2015, is there anything you missed out badly and felt disappointed?

The kind of travelling we do is too much and also means missing out those precious moments with your parents, family members. Miss important family weddings. But to be the No. 1 you should be ready to sacrifice these things.

On the 2016 Rio Olympics and the debate about who will be her partner.

All I will say is that I am eagerly looking forward for that great event. I will keep playing as long as my body permits and I keep enjoying.

Are there are any realistic goals you set for yourself?

I won’t say goals. But, yes, there will be a conscious effort to stay at the top and finish off another year as World No. 1.

0 comments:

Post a Comment